Monday, October 26, 2009

A Cheap Shot It's Not

Here's a question… Why does every electronic item that I buy become outdated what seems like moments after I make the purchase? Digital cameras, for example. Why do these digital camera models have to be released literally by the megapixel? We consumers have to keep shelling out more cash if we want the latest and greatest.

My first digital camera purchase was quite a few years ago. At the time, I thought it was the coolest thing ever and….it was only 1.3 megapixels! I even thought the picture quality was fantastic. But c'mon, are you going to tell me that when Canon released this camera, they were oblivious to the fact that they had the ability to make one with a higher number of megapixels?

Are we supposed to believe that one day after they released this 1.3 megapixel version, it just occurred to them that they could go a tiny, tiny bit higher? "Hey Bob, umm..you know how we just released that 1.3 megapixel camera? Well, I was thinking, uhh..I might be able to figure out how to make one with 2.0 megapixels. Just a thought." And perhaps each year it occurred to them that they could do just a little bit better? Unlikely, I guess.

Maybe the entire electronics industry is comprised of a bunch of slackers that are major underachievers. "Hmmm..Guys, I'm a little hungover today,. I know we're supposed to manufacture that 12 megapixel camera today and all…but, I'm totally beat. Let's just do one with 3 megapixels, ship 'em out, and we'll call it a day. We'll pick it up again tomorrow." Possible scenario? Maybe. Eh, probably not. Ugh, I just did some internet surfing for digital cameras and they're selling 12 megapixel cameras that are
cheaper than my 1.3!

Sigh.


Image supplied by freefoto.com 

1 comment:

  1. My old digital camera was 2.1 megapixels...about time for an upgrade. I wasn't sure what to get, but your suggestion was just right. I bought it a few days ago, and just got it today. The price was right, it's small and will fit in my shirt pocket, and uses just 2 AA batteries. To me convenience is always a key factor, and this is convenient. Good recommendation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Directory