Monday, November 2, 2009

Deal or No Deal?

Why can't anyone buy a car these days without it being so darn complicated? C'mon…you tell me how much it is, I pay you, and you give me the car.  It should be that simple, right?  Not quite.

My current lease just ended and I, luckily, somehow lived to tell about my car shopping ordeal.  It's an experience that can hurt your brain, your wallet, and your self-esteem.

Every time a car commercial came on…and every time I saw an ad in the paper….it gave me hope...but not for long!!  $199/month?? That's an extremely reasonable price! Could it be real??  Well, no.  Only if you put $3,999 down and $1900 at inception!?  Disheartening, I tell you.  Whatever..I'll just go to the dealership. It'll be easier. Ha.

1. Me: Yes, can you please tell me how much a monthly payment is for a 36 month lease on a Toyota Highlander?
2. Salesman: Well, how much do you want it to be?
3. Me: Uhh..(can I really say ANY number??? Should I say "nothing"? Should I say "$20/month"?)  Umm..uh..$350/month??
4. Salesman: Let me go talk to my manager.
(repeat #3-4 many, many times)

What's the deal with the "manager" guy? Does he even exist? And why can't he come talk to me himself? Does he have to keep himself mysterious? Is he like Jacob from "Lost"?  Every time I negotiated, the salesman had to go back to talk to him. Make yourself known, Mr. Manager!!  


Each time he went back there, he kept me waiting for at least 10 minutes. Frustrating…frustrating..and even more frustrating.  How do I know that the salesman isn't just hanging out in the back smoking a cigarette?  I think it's a tactic so that you'll end up saying "Ugh, I've been here for hours already. I've invested this much time...I might as well take the car!"  And after being there for a few hours, I did take it!  Mostly because I really liked the car, but partly because I didn't think I could go through the same process at another dealership.

At least it's something that I need to do only every three years.  Can you imagine if every purchase was like this?  What if I asked for a Mocha Frapuccino at Starbucks and they said "How much do you want to pay for it?"  Or what if they said you can have it for $1.95, but you have to put $2.49 down and pay 51 cents at inception."?  Thankfully, this madness doesn't happen with most of our daily purchases.

Luckily, I did end up with a car in the end. No idea if I paid a fair price. I don't think I'll ever know....but "the manager" will always know.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your thoughts--they always make me smile!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Directory